NURSING The modern world, a world of patients and medical professionals is changing. This concerns the professional work of nurses, needs in the area of nursing and expectations of patients regarding this profession; the education system of this group of professionals is also changing.
The profession of a nurse is one of the few professions of social trust. A nurse is expected to have an impeccable moral and ethical attitude from society, high personal culture, compliance and respect for patient rights and professional secrecy.
The studies are free of charge both for international students and the citizens of Poland.
The planned number of students to be enrolled to the course is 50 for the academic year 2017-2018. This includes The planned number of admitted international students will be 30 at minimum.
Level: First degree studies
Duration: 3 years /6 semesters
Internship: 4-6 weeks
Obtained education: Bachelor
Curriculum activities include:
- lectures – 1400 hours (including 240 hours with visiting professors),
- seminars – 175 hours;
- basic nursing practice – 115 hours ( in groups of 7-8);
- traineeships in hospitals supervised by the hospital stuff– 1200 hours.
- Obligatory criteria:
- A filled in application form
- Submission of a set of documents required for recruitment
- Good command of English (proved by the certificates confirming at least at the B2 of common reference level of English language ) and the candidates will have to take an entrance English exam (including demonstrating writing, reading, listening and speaking proficiency).
- Additional criteria:
- rural area origin
In case the number of candidates exceeds the number of places the additional criteria will be applied.
Meeting the criteria mentioned above and the received number of points will decide on the candidate’s admittance.
If the number of candidates exceeds the number of places the transcript of grades on the high school certificate or the result of maturity exam in a major subject will be taken under the consideration.
In case the criteria outlined in I and II do not allow the process of recruitment to be completed the order of applying will decide.
The last step is signing the Learning Agreement which will outline the conditions of studying and fees for studies under the Nursing degree program (3-year study cycle).
The programme of the studies
Nursing studies target at preparing a graduate to act independently as a professional nurse (to perform in the field of caring, educating, health promotion, prophylaxis, therapy, rehabilitation and stakeholder (person, family or a social group ) oriented management in health, illnesses or disability. A graduate possesses a specialized knowledge in nursing, general medical knowledge, knowledge of law regulations, professional ethics, a graduate is acquainted with deontology for nurses and is prepared to provide professional nursing care.
According to Polish framework of professional qualifications a nurse (code:22210) is a profession that provides health service especially in caring, preventing, diagnosing, curing, rehabilitation and health promotion for healthy, ill and disabled people as well as children, youths and their families in the conditions of ambulatory, stationary and home healthcare.
Practical training in the field of Nursing (1st cycle) is covered within 1100 hours of nursing practice and 1200 hours of traineeships.
The career prospects of a graduate arise in Nursing and Midwife Professions Act from 15th July 2011(published Dz.U.2016 position 1251 with later changes). A graduate can be employed or render a service:
- in medical entities in administrative positions;
- in entities responsible for public financing health care services or their supporting departments;
- in service position in healthcare supervising public administration, Inspectorate of Military Health Service or other organizational units of Armed Forces of Poland;
- in service position in Central Board of Prison Service or in other positions in Prison service;
- as a nurse at a kindergarten or children’s club.
A graduate of Nursing studies obtains a diploma in Nursing along with a title of Bachelor. A graduate may continue the education on the 2nd cycle studies (Master degree) or PhD studies carried out in Faculty of Health Science in the University of Economics and Innovation in Lublin.
International Summer School ( attendance is compulsory)
The international Summer School program will incorporate the following:
- Savoir-vivre – social convention, generally accepted standards, rules, social norms in Poland and in WSEI.
- Workshop on effective multicultural communication for students.
- How to legalize the stay in Poland?
- Meetings with the organizations supporting foreigners.
- Health Insurance System in Poland – how to use it.
- The rights and the duties of the employers and the employees.
- Lublin – a town friendly to international students;
- The summer course of basic Polish for foreigners.
- Polish students and foreigners who are holders of the Polish Card may apply for social scholarships and the scholarship of the Rector for the best students.
- The scholarship will provide the cost of living for 30 foreign students taking part in the project during their studies in Poland (max scholarship is 1.500,00 PLN a month).
Organization of the studies within the project
- The studies cycle will run from 1.10.2017 to 30.09.2020. The academic year starts on the 1st of October and finishes on the 30th of June.
- During full-time studies the classes are held for 5 days a week from Monday to Friday.
- The timetable is available on our website, at the Dean’s Office and the Virtual Dean’s
Terms of participation in classes
- The students are obliged to attend all the classes regularly which is registered by a personal signature on the list. The students are required to be punctual and actively participate in classes.
- The students are obliged to take part in the International Summer School.
- The students have to take part in monitoring the process of implementing the project, evaluating and estimating it by filling the relevant questionnaires.
- The students must show their presence on at least 90% hours of each program.
- The students have to take part in surveying the graduates careers within 12 months after graduation.
A highly qualified teaching staff with rich academic achievements and professional experience: outstanding specialists in their fields, professors of medical academies, persons with a doctoral degree in medical sciences and highly qualified doctors and nurses
COMBINES STUDIES WITH WORK – the studies are also aimed at those already working, who want to improve their professional qualifications or get new ones
The education program is adjusted to labor market requirements and constantly updated in cooperation with partner institutions, preparing specialized staff in the field of pedagogy; the most modern laboratories and nursing offices
International exchange visits to partner universities abroad
Support of academic and administrative staff and business partners
A group of courses/subjects of directional education prepares to gaining skills of maintaining contact with healthy and ill people, identify patients’ health problems, plan, implement and document the provided nursing care and collaborate with the interdisciplinary team, and the specializations prepare for the profession and enable deepening of directional education in the field of knowledge, skills and nursing competences.
The University is recognized by independent institutions in educational rankings; The obtained certificates confirm recognition of following high educational standards, actively supporting their students and graduates in undertaking professional challenges and achieving their goals in the labor market.
The faculty has KRASPIP accreditation
Nursing studies in Poland are covered by Directive 2005/36/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council, which allows international comparability of professional qualifications of nurses.